Halloween and good oral hygiene rarely go hand-in-hand. It doesn’t have to be that way, as you and your family can still get all the joys and fun out of the holiday, without the risk of unnecessary tooth decay and tummy aches. Here are seven easy steps you can take:
– Non-Sugar Rewards: Switch out your loved one’s candy with toys, money, or other rewards.
– Make a Candy Plan: Decide in advance what should be done with any collected/leftover candy, or else you could find yourself snacking on sugary sweets for weeks.
– Go for Short Binges, Not Grazing: Avoid snacking over long periods of time and in between meals.
– Visit the dentist for an oral exam, or a professional cleaning
– Brush after Eating: Residue from candy lingers easily in hidden places, especially from hard or sticky candies, so be sure to brush and floss with proper techniques.
– Dental Double-check: Check the candy received for yourself and your family, and remove those pieces that don’t dissolve easily or are washed away in your mouth easily.
– Opt for Healthy Treats: Eat healthy, and you will be healthy.
The longer candy is in contact with your teeth, the longer tooth decay can occur, so don’t forget to brush your teeth, and floss behind your fangs.
If you would like to speak to a member of our talented team, please call us at 317.637.4636, to talk to a member of our staff. You can also stop by our office in Indianapolis, Indiana.
From all of us at Tracey Tabor Williams, DMD, we wish you a ‘ghoulriffic’ Halloween!