Did you know that you could be at an increased risk for gum disease? Numerous lifestyle habits, including the use of unhealthy substances, medications, genetic predispositions, a poor diet, hormonal changes, and numerous other ailments can give rise to gum disease. Thus, it is important to avoid gum disease by considering the following risk factors:
– The medications you’re taking or the foods you’re eating can influence your risks for gum disease.
– Chewing or smoking tobacco is a known source of gum disease.
– A failure to visit your dentist for routine checkups and oral exams can increase your risk for bad oral hygiene and gum disease.
– Drug abuse can cause gum disease to arise.
– Genetic predispositions and a family history of gum disease are known causes of the disease.
– Diabetes is a known cause of gum disease.
– Momentous changes in your life, especially during pregnancy, can increase your risk for gum disease.
– If you have any hormonal changes in your body, specifically if you are a young girl, it can considerably increase the rate at which gingivitis, an early stage of gum disease, can arise.
Are you ready for a gum disease treatment? If so, please call 317.637.4636 to schedule an appointment with Tracey Tabor Williams, DMD at our office in Indianapolis, Indiana. Dr. Tracey Tabor Williams & Amy Montefalco are here to ensure you receive the excellent care your smile needs.