Dry mouth is an oral health disorder that is caused when your mouth is plagued by a lack of saliva. For a better understanding of the basics of dry mouth, listed below are some vital facts:
– Side effects of dry mouth include an increased risk for cavities, a sore throat, issues breathing or swallowing, and difficulty chewing properly.
– If you are suffering from dry mouth, it may be an indicator of a rare autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome, in which your body’s immune system inadvertently attacks the glands in your body, including those responsible for creating saliva.
– Saliva is important for your oral health because it neutralizes acids, washes away harmful bacteria, and helps keep your mouth fresh from debris.
– Although dry mouth is not a disease, it is considered a medical disorder that can increase your risk for diseases such as gum disease.
– Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of products, including as a side effect of many medications you may be taking.
Our team at Tracey Tabor Williams, DMD focuses on a variety of dry mouth treatments to suit all your needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Tracey Tabor Williams & Amy Montefalco, please book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Indianapolis, Indiana. We can be reached at 317.637.4636. Come on in to learn more about your options to get the bright and healthy smile you’ve always wanted.